Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Lampwork Necklace

Before moving to Arizona from Chicago, I took two weekend lampworking workshops from a master teacher. When I arrived, the instructor was wearing a necklace comprised of sample beads (all in black and white) made by her displaying her various lampworking techniques. It was gorgeous! I want to do that, I want a lampworked necklace. I put my best effort into it. I really thought I could conquer it, which is why I invested in a second two-day workshop. "How hard can this be?", I thought. Also, I should interject that I have a slight fire phobia that I thought this class would help me overcome in a positive way.
I treasure this little necklace. Proud as punch I survived the workshops with very minor burns on both hands. I made the focal bead and the rest of the glass beads in this beauty. The normal beginner would have tossed these lame attempts, but, not me. I wear them proudly.
Then I had a momentary loss of sanity and ordered the best digital oven and stocked up on glass and all the paraphernalia because "a craftsman is only as good as his tools". What the heck was I thinking?
Now I was stuck with all this stuff (thank God I was able to sell it in Arizona), but thankful I didn't have to re-mortgage the house to pay for those two fun fire-filled weekends.
By the end of it all, I looked at the instructor and said, "Would you consider selling the necklace you are wearing?" Seriously. I knew I would never come close and it was so breathtaking. She said she would make a duplicate for me and I had it by the holidays. I will post a picture of it when I get back. And, yes, still have the fire phobia. I will be off to New Mexico re-energizing my “beading” heart (sorry, couldn't help it) with 15 or so other beading artists from across the United States for seven glorious days. The hubby is so happy. So, create, be happy and I will see you in a week. -Marlene

No comments: