Saturday, January 9, 2010

UGLY Necklace Contest

Land of Odds is having their 8th Annual Ugly Necklace Contest and deadline to enter is March 15, 2010. Land of Odds sells beads, jewelry findings, beading supplies, books, etc. They sell Retail, and Wholesale and give quantity discounts.
Well, creating an ugly necklace is not as easy as it sounds. I entered a few years ago and was published on their site, but did not win. My entry was just not ugly enough. One of the entry requirements is writing a poem to accompany your necklace. Since I'd never written poetry, that was a kick too. It was a fun experience and I thought there may be others that might like to enter this year and have some fun with it.
My entry was called, "Ugly Necklace Warning!" and a bit of the poem is as follows:
This ugly necklace gives me vent
I can display what I cannot say
This ugly necklace matches my mood
and allows me to warn the world--
I'm tired, I'm cranky, my head's in a whirl;
I'm feeling nasty, rude and a little unglued.
I hung little warning signs all the way around the necklace-stay away, stand back, don't talk to me, leave me alone, don't bother me, get out of my hair, etc. I sculpted the polymer clay angry faces in really pukey colors. I hand crocheted copper wire for the base and then let the glue from a hot glue gun drizzle all over it - to give it the "unglued" feeling.
The closure was a head toggle through a loop (below).
So, if you are interested in entering , go to their site and read through the rules and then get busy creating something completely unbalanced and aesthetically ugly.

No comments: