Friday, July 2, 2010

A Bee Catcher

Here in the Southwest, there are the occasional bee and/or fly that invites itself to picnics or bar-b-ques. Every so often we see a bottle catcher baited with something sweet to draw the bees and/or flies in.
When I was a kid, I used to catch fire flies and put them in a jar to watch them glow (yes, I let them go). It was always so much fun. I wanted a picnic bee catcher for my tablescape and made it out of polymer, acrylic paints, glue, wire, a piece of artificial fern and a Mason jar.
The artificial fern was purchased. I glued the bees on with Krazy glue.
I sculpted a small bee and then made a two-part silicone mold of it. I used Kato polymer clay in black to make duplicate bees. I painted the yellow stripes with acrylic paint and the wings with interference acrylic paint. I used a Mason jar, poked holes in the painted lid and wired a handle. Bees, flies, ants, gnats and mosquitoes........ahhhhhhhh, summer is here.

No comments: