Monday, September 27, 2010

Peyote Pattern

This is what I worked on during the car ride from Arizona to Illinois. I saw this pattern years ago and loved it. It is from my friend, Rita Sova's wonderful website, Sova Enterprises. She also has hundreds of bead patterns available on Bead-Patterns.com.
I didn't think I would be able to successfully follow a peyote pattern, but I surprised myself.
Don't get me wrong.......there were a few false starts, and I struggled with the decreasing, but I figured it out and I'm so happy with it.
This was my set up in the back of the mini van. Rough, bumpy roads, beading with delicas and following a graph is not a good combination. However, the time went by fast and I love the feeling of learning something new and having it turn out. I'm pretty sure I am going to make it a pendant. I like it so much I may do a bracelet.

2 comments:

Lois Moon said...

I was just thinking about you car ride stitching yesterday and wondering what you ended up making! I love this pattern and it looks like you did a great job with the increases and decreases. The colors are beautiful. Increases and decreases are tough for me also. I've been looking for a class so that I could get a little live instruction on these points. I also just finished an odd count peyote that resembles an oriental rug. I worked it with two needles to avoid the thread bulk along the odd-turn edge because it is a very wide piece.

I agree that Rita Sova's site is great. She has a lot of free instructions/tutorials posted for various stitches. Whenever I'm looking for clear, easy to follow guidance, that is where I go.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Marlene! I just recently learned the basic outlining peyote stitch, but this takes things to a whole new level. Very pretty!