Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mask with Beaded Head Piece

This was another effort in working with the DAS clay; the result of which I was not happy with.
I was aiming for a "clay-like" structure; a basic "pottery" look. I thought the turquoise would compliment it nicely. But the volume of clay color overpowers the turquoise.
I'm going to paint on the clay to balance it out and hope I am happy with it.
The beads are seed beads, Czech glass beads, gemstones, freshwater pearls, lampwork, vintage beads and buttons. The beading stitches are peyote and fringe. It is mounted on a painted plywood oval.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that beaded head piece is incredible! I'm not being drawn away from it by the clay color, but I'm sure a little more balance won't hurt it either. Looking forward to what you do with the mask. Back to the beading, I can't even imagine how long that took you to accomplish -- beautiful!

coltpixy said...

It is fabulous! Not sure how much difference there is between my monitor resolution and real life but the colors look wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Awesome mask! The bead work is incredible, Marlene! And they are in my favorite colors! Absolutely, Beautiful...as always!